PHaMs aims to provide increased opportunities for recovery for people living in the community whose lives are affected by mental illness.
The program focuses on strengths – what people can do, rather than what they can’t do. It also focuses on recovery – demonstrating that people with mental illness can lead fulfilled lives in the community with the same opportunities as other people.
The program ensures that services accessed by participants are coordinated, integrated and complementary to other services in the community. People who join the program work with their own PHaMs Worker who supports them in their recovery, to build long-term relationships and provide holistic support.
We have been providing PHaMs services since 2007, initially with our Inner Brisbane demonstration site, then expanding to our four other sites – South Brisbane, Ipswich, Caboolture and Bayside. Our Inner Brisbane PHaMs program can provide specialist services for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and our Ipswich PHaMs program provides specialist supports to Indigenous Australians.
How can PHaMs help?
PHaMs staff will work with you to develop individual recovery goals and plans and strategies to achieve these goals. They will provide you with opportunities, support and services that will help you on your recovery journey.
Your PHaMs Worker can support you in many different ways including:
- Working with you to increase your confidence in managing everyday tasks such as budgeting and using public transport
- Working with you to find suitable accommodation
- Helping you to reconnect with family and friends
- Supporting you to access clinical supports (GP’s, counselors, psychologists, community mental health services)
- Supporting you to access employment, education or training opportunities
- Working with you to increase your social networks and community involvement
- Connecting you with other services or programs that could also support you on your recovery journey like drug and alcohol services, housing or medical supports.
Where is the PHaMs Program Offered?
Open Minds offers the PHaMs program in the following locations in South East Queensland: Inner Brisbane, South Brisbane, Bayside, Ipswich and Caboolture. For full details of the locations where the program is offered please download a copy of our information brochure (430Kb).
Referring a Participant to PHaMs
If you would like to refer yourself or someone you know to the PHaMs program, please download a copy of the PHaMs referral form (188Kb).
If you are unable to download or would like further information in relation to accessing the PHaMs program, please phone Open Minds on (07) 3896 4222.